A lot of people always ask the same question. Why we have not heard of START-PROF before? To answer on this question we decide to tell about a history of this software.
START-PROF Piping Stress Analysis Software was created in Moscow in 1965 inside Hyprokauchuk process plant design company for it’s internal needs. The name of software was ST-01 at that time. Since 1969 software was distributed to many other companies across the former USSR.
Official version history can be found here.
Since It’s creation software was operated on Minsk 2 computer. In 1972 migrated to Minsk 32, then in 1976 to ES-1040 (clone of IBM System/350 Mainframe). In 1992 the code was completely rewritten to FORTRAN for MS DOS operating system. In 2000 the code was completely rewritten on C++ for Windows OS.
The initial authors of START-PROF software are V. Magalif and E. Shapiro. After 2000 development team was reinforced by younger engineers A. Bushuyev, A. Matveev, R. Dyachkov and several programmers. All main authors are engineers with deep structural mechanics and stress analysis knowledge, involved into every day software development, testing, technical support, and training. Almost all are Philosophy Doctors. Each of the authors leads
START-PROF piping stress analysis training classes almost every month and get feedback directly from the users.
START-PROF is widely used for power piping, process piping, gas and oil transportation networks, district heating networks and other industries.
START-PROF is absolutely leading software at Russian market. START-PROF analysis results and input data files are accepted by all expert companies. The projects designed for Russia by foreign companies using ASME B31 codes in other software usually checked by local companies with START-PROF for compliance with Russian standards.
Today, START-PROF is used by 2,000 companies, 10,000 licenses (working seats) in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Lithuania, Czech Republic, Serbia, Finland, France, Italy, Germany, UK, Japan, China, South Korea. Now START-PROF is being developed in PSRE company that has also big process plant design department and software is always tested by own piping designers.
The main reason why nobody knows about START-PROF outside of Russia and other Russian speaking countries is Language. Throughout the 50 year history since the software creation, it’s user interface language and the documentation was only Russian. In 2015 we realized that our domestic markets are already filled, almost all companies are using START-PROF. Now we directed our efforts to satisfy other markets. We are sure that START-PROF has a lot of advantages: user friendly interface, affordable price, it’s very easy to learn for the new users etc. In 2016 we translated user interface and all documentation into English and Chinese language. Our team worked hard for about one year adding and testing all ASME B31 and EN13480 Codes in 2018. Since 2016 START-PROF is available worldwide.
Now we get and process the feedback from our new ASME B31 and EN code users. We will continue improving our piping stress analysis software to fit all the international piping stress engineers requirements.
START-PROF is a software from engineers for the engineers! Not from programmers for the programmers. START-PROF was developed in process facilities design company since 1965 and developers was always forced to fit the piping designer’s requirements.
Traditionally, in Russia there’s no separate specialty “Piping Stress Engineer”. All stress analysis jobs are performed by Piping Designers. Some of them are professional in piping stress analysis, some not.
Throughout all 50 year history piping designers always insist to make START-PROF more simple, more smart, more fast, more easy. They usually don’t have enough time for stress analysis, reading manuals, books, training, they need to do design job. Thanks to this, the START-PROF become very intuitive, fast and smart tool both for beginners and professionals.
Best of all, the difference between START-PROF and other piping stress analysis software can be demonstrated by comparing DSLR and smartphone cameras.
- DSLR is considered as a camera for professionals, expensive, big, has a lot of manual settings and require the great theory knowledge to use it. DSLR was exclusive device to create quality photos several years ago, but now every smartphone can do almost the same pictures in automatic mode.
- START-PROF is like smartphone’s camera. Just point the lens at the subject and press the button. It’s for most of people: small, easy to use, has affordable price, no need of deep theory knowledge. Just push the button.
DSLR camera can be used only by professionals who like to use manual settings, but smartphone camera can be used by other 90% of people. Some professionals can have both, smartphone camera for everyday use and DSLR for rare complex jobs that require a lot of manual settings.
- Quick and easy piping model Creation. You can create piping model several times faster than in other software.
- Quick Solution. Start prof use flexibility matrix method instead of stiffness matrix method. The number of DOF (matrix size) is several times smaller than in other software. The analysis is preformed very quickly. For medium models just 1-3 seconds. You can change design and check difference in results a lot of times per 1 one minute
- Very easy to learn and use. Our and our dealer experience shows, that new users learn how to use START-PROF very quickly. Newbie in piping stress needs just 3 day training. Many people learn how to use it without a training at all. Users of other pipe stress software can use it without any training immediately.
START-PROF implements the following codes:
Buried piping (underground piping) analysis is the best feature of START-PROF. Almost 40% of START-PROF users design underground piping. The buried piping analysis is as easy and fast as above ground piping analysis.
- CAESAR II vs START-PROF Piping Stress Analysis Software Differences
- Stress Analysis of GRP / GRE / FRP Piping with START-PROF
- Stress Analysis of HDPE, PE-RT, PP-H, PP-R, PVC-C, PVDF Piping Stress Analysis with START-PROF
- How to use ASME B31J-2017 and FEM for SIF and k-factors for Stress Analysis with START-PROF