What is PDMS?
Plant Design Management System or PDMS is one of the most widely used engineering design software in the 3D CAD industry for developing or designing plants. UK based MNC AVEVA developed this software.
Why is PDMS is popular?
PDMS is highly popular in plant design because of its various benefits like
- Customization is very easy.
- It can be used by many users and multi-discipline together. The software allows engineers and designers at various locations to create, control and manage project changes simultaneously.
- It can be used for engineering, design and construction projects in offshore, onshore oil & gas and chemical industry.
- It has in-built modules for the design of piping, ducting, equipment, structure and cable trays.
- Its colourfull 3D environment is awesome.
- It has inbuilt tools that ensure the clash-free design
- It can handle big projects with ease, without error.
Professionals using PDMS
On a broad scale PDMS software is used by the following professionals:
- Piping Professionals i.e Engineers and Designers
- Civil Engineering Professionals
- Draftsmen from all disciplines
- Chemical Engineering Professionals
- Petrochemical Engineers
- Designers involved in the 3D design process
- Students and Professionals from the Mechanical engineering domain.
In this article, I will share a few collected PDMS video tutorials to help beginners. To learn from these tutorials you must have to install the PDMS software on your PC or laptop.
PDMS Tutorial/ Lesson 1. Creating Equipment
In this lesson, you will learn how to create equipment through primitives and matching two surfaces by the ID point method and learn simple object moving commands.
Tutorial/ Lesson 2. Measuring Distance
In this lesson, we will discuss different types of measuring methods; element to element and graphic to the graphic.
Tutorial/ Lesson 3. Creating Nozzle
In this lesson, we will learn how to create a nozzle on a vessel and a tank and how to create any type of hole by negative primitives.
Tutorial/ Lesson 4. Offsetting & Rotating a Nozzle
Offsetting and rotating nozzles are very important in piping design. In this lesson, how to rotate and offset nozzles is explained thoroughly through various commands.
PDMS Tutorial /Lesson 5. Mirroring & Rotating Equipment
This video will explain how to rotate, offset & mirror the equipment in PDMS.
Tutorial/ Lesson 6. Modifying Equipment & Nozzle
This video tutorial is prepared with an aim to help you learn how to modify equipment & nozzles and adjust parameters accordingly.
Tutorial/Lesson 7. Creating Equipment (Heat Exchanger, Air Cooler, Vessel or Pump)
In this lesson, we will learn how to create air cooler, heat exchanger, vessel & pumps.
Tutorial/ Lesson 8. Modifying Equipment according to Construction Drawing
In this lesson, we will learn how to modify standard equipment. But in this video, you will see specifically how to modify a centrifugal pump. In a similar way, you can easily modify other equipment.
PDMS Tutorial/ Lesson 9. Creating Single Branch-Piping Modelling
In this lesson, we will learn how to create a single branch connection.
Tutorial /Lesson 10. Creating Multiple Branches( Pipe Modelling)
In this lesson, we will learn how to create more than 1 branch connection with a tee ( piping modeling).
Tutorial/ Lesson 11. Using Explicit Command in Pipe Modeling
In this lesson, we will learn how to create piping modeling through explicit command with example.
Tutorial/ Lesson 12. Creating Structural Beam & Column
In this video,, we will learn how to create a structure beam & column. and how to extend beam & column by a different method and how to copy-paste the floor.